Health & Medicine Policy Research Group (Health & Medicine) began in 1981 as an independent non-profit health policy and advocacy center in Chicago working to improve the health of all people in Illinois by promoting health equity with a commitment to social justice. Health & Medicine raises an annual budget of approximately $1.7 million primarily through private foundations and individual donations.
The Director of Development and Communications plays a critical role on the leadership team, reporting to the Executive Director and collaborating with Program and Department Directors and Members of the Board. The Development Director supervises the Communications and Grants Coordinator. The position works closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to implement the philanthropic aspects of the organization’s strategic plan, meeting annual goals and creating long-term sustainability.
RESPONSIBILITIESPlan, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive fundraising plan, including foundation/corporate/government grant programs, personal solicitation, mail appeal, special event, and major giftsServe as lead solicitor and steward of donors and guide the board, committee members, staff, and volunteers in on-going cultivationDevelop long-term growth strategies with a focus on diversifying funding baseDevelop, implement, monitor, and evaluate the annual development work plan Develop, monitor, and evaluate an annual work plan that includes integrated marketing, communication, and social media strategiesTrain and support board members and staff to be effective fundraisersSupervise the planning, analysis, and production of development and communications-related publicationsHire and/or supervise, and evaluate department staff, consultants, and/or interns
Create and monitor the department expense budget and income goals. Prepare financial documents needed for fundraising and evaluation
· Develop and cultivate relationships with funders, other granting sources, and/or government agencies. Attend site visits with prospects and funders
· Write grants/proposals, up-dates, and reports. Keep to all deadlines and maintain calendar of key dates/deadlines. Ensure compliance with grant commitments
· Work closely with the program departments and Executive Director to develop appropriate strategies, language, and priorities for proposal submissions
· Actively seek new opportunities for grant funding. Oversee process of identifying, researching, and evaluating potential corporate, foundation, and government prospects
Individual DonorsSupport and grow existing strategies and develop innovative ways to expand donor baseIdentify and cultivate new and prospective donors; develop and implement a strategy for cultivating major donors. Directly solicit individuals for donations and lead strategies to better involve board members in major donor cultivationSupervise/lead writing of appeal letters and solicitation materials
Special EventsDevelop innovative ways to expand net proceeds and increase sponsorshipManage the special events team responsible for producing Health & Medicine’s large fundraising eventsCoordinate smaller, major donor and cultivation eventsOversee the production timelines, financial reports, registration process and evaluations for all events and forumsManage each event budget
Communications Ensure that Health & Medicine’s key messages are created and are carried out consistently in all communicationsOversee Health & Medicine’s annual website plan and supervise day-to-day maintenanceOversee online presence including, but not limited to: editing and writing blog posts, social media posts, and e-News communicationsLead the production of all Health & Medicine’s development and marketing materials, including leading the team who conceptualizes directionUphold communication policies, e.g. Social media use, attribution on Health & Medicine reportsServe as an in-house editor for all Health & Medicine publications include white papers, letters to the editor, and one-pagersDevelop and implement strategy to increase media engagement for Health & MedicineOversee all special event marketing
Administrative/Financial Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to ensure development records are reconciled with accounting recordsWork with the Administrative Assistant to ensure that timely acknowledgments are sent, donor and prospect files are maintained, and database is maintainedFollow any relevant procedures as listed in Health & Medicine’s Financial Policies and Procedures Manual including reviewing payroll and bank statements to ensure accuracy
· Minimum of five years of experience in fundraising, with two years in a senior management position leading a development team and managing and monitoring budgets and income goals or comparable experienceProven ability to lead a fundraising effort that brings in $2 million annually (in addition to other factors, performance is evaluated based on the ability to reach fundraising goals)Knowledge of the local and national funding community; including individual philanthropistsProven success managing small and large fundraising eventsExperience in individual giving and major donor cultivationSuperior written skillsAbility to maintain confidential information with discretionExperience and proven success developing board and committee members as fundraisersProficient in Microsoft Office. Proficiency with fundraising software, Neon CRM software preferred
· Work is normally performed in a typical office work environment
· Sitting for extended periods is required
· Local and regional travel required.
· Work week is generally 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., some evening and weekend work required
Excellent benefits package including:100% employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance3 weeks (15 days) paid vacation per year in addition to paid sick time and 10 paid holidays401K retirement plan, with employer contribution after one year3 months fully paid maternity/paternity leave policy
How to Apply
· Email a cover letter and resume to Ann Duffy at email@example.com. Please write your name (Last, First) then “Development Director” in the subject line of your e-mail. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
· Deadline to apply is February 14, 2020.
· No phone calls. Recruiters please do not contact this job poster.
· Health & Medicine is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity among our board and staff and volunteers. We recruit, hire, train, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or any other protected status.
· Email a cover letter and resume to Ann Duffy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write your name (Last, First) then “Development Director” in the subject line of your e-mail. Incomplete…
Read more about how to apply