|Company:||Amnesty International USA|
|Workplace street:||Washington, DC|
|Work schedule:||Full Time|
|Posted:||15 Dec 2019|
Amnesty International USA (AIUSA) is seeking a Full-Time Senior Director, Media Relations to join our Public Affairs team. This position is based at either our New York City or Washington D.C. office.
What you’ll find at Amnesty International USA:
-Vision for change: Amnesty International is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. The organization investigates and exposes abuses, educates and mobilizes the public, and works to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth and dignity are denied. As the United States section of our global movement, we engage people in the U.S. to fight injustice all around the world, while we also work to protect people’s human rights here in the U.S. Whether speaking out for refugees and against oppression abroad, or calling for an end to gun violence and the unlawful use of lethal force by police, Amnesty International and its membership shines a light on violations and offers ways to help.
-How we work: Amnesty International’s uniquely effective approach for protecting human rights uses a three-pronged approach that focuses on research from experts in crisis zones and areas were human violations are taking place; mobilization of activists, members, and others who care about human rights; and advocacy to pass and preserve laws that protect human rights. We foster a collaborative environment in which we work with colleagues across functions and locations, and partner with our dedicated volunteer members to maximize our impact.
-Care for our staff: One of the ways we value the wellbeing of our staff is through our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer to eligible employees. Our benefits package includes comprehensive health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match up to 5%, and generous paid time off. We are also committed to our team’s learning and growth, and offer various professional development and advancement opportunities.
- Commitment to diversity & inclusion: At Amnesty International USA, we deeply value inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in our human rights work and our workplace culture and practices. We recognize that this is not only necessary to ensure that our rich diversity of staff and members can thrive, but that we can simply not accomplish our mission without it. We have a comprehensive strategy and take shared responsibility for fostering an inclusive environment for all.
What the Senior Director, Media Relations does: Amnesty International USA (AIUSA) seeks a strategic, message-disciplined, and entrepreneurial Senior Director or Media Relations with excellent writing, social media, and on-record skills to drive message distribution across traditional and digital media channels in support Amnesty’s human rights mission.
The Senior Director of Media Relations is a member of AIUSA’s Public Affairs Department reporting directly to the National Director of Public Affairs. They are responsible for the day-to-day management of AIUSA and its principles in the news and is held to high-performance standards for distributing Amnesty’s message to press and emerging media outlets. They have an extensive background in media relations including strong relationships with reporters and possess a deep understanding of how to leverage those contacts for maximum exposure, as well as a proven track record of obtaining and shaping coverage. They will work closely with Amnesty International’s International Secretariat as well as AIUSA’s Campaigns, Programs and Government Relations teams to increase AIUSA’s visibility in the media.
- Proficiently coordinates and works closely with the National Director, Public Affairs, executive team members and AIUSA departments to ensure that critical human rights policies, programs, and goals of AIUSA are reflected in statements, op-eds, quotes and public appearances of all AIUSA staff.
- Advises the Executive Director, National Director, Public Affairs and other senior AIUSA staff on communications plans and outreach activities ensuring that our members and the public are fully informed of our activities and given the opportunity to engage. The Senior Director of Media Relations is recognized as the expert advisor on press matters by both AIUSA staff and the press. Manages the development and implementation of AIUSA best practice and process on press conferences and other media events.
- A senior expert leader in producing media events, continuously developing, maintaining and strengthening relationships with reporters, producers and editorial decision-makers at national and local media outlets.
- Demonstrates expert skills in media planning, media pitching, producing press events, expertly promotes, develops and implements policies, procedures and programs to meet AIUSA’s responsibilities for dissemination of information to the press – both online and offline -- and also directs the preparation and distribution of news releases, fact sheets, announcements and other printed, filmed and recorded materials to the media. This requires maintaining a close and open relationship with the Campaigns, Programs and Government Relations teams to ensure that our human rights experts are aware of critical and newsworthy decisions and issues.
- Develops and implements various outreach activities such as media interviews, editorial boards, television, digital, and/or radio to further educate members and the public on our human rights campaigns and programs.
- Prepares and distributes news releases, announcements, fact sheets, and other printed, filmed or recorded materials to the media.
- Maintains daily contact with print, broadcast, and digital media. Supervises media coverage of appearances by the Executive Director and other AIUSA staff, arranges press conferences, and prepares briefing materials in advance of such interviews and appearances. Travels, as required, to supervise media advance work and the execution of scheduled media events for AIUSA human rights experts.
- Closely monitor human rights news and events to identify and develop media opportunities.
- Keeps abreast of current and ongoing advances in digital strategy and communications including innovations in information dissemination, social media and engagement platforms, multimedia, and open source technologies.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Were seeking candidates who have:
- Excellent writing skills including specific experience in writing for the web across various online platforms and audiences, including social channels. Knowledge of AP-style guidelines and editing experience required.
- The ability to persuasively present complex concepts, programs, and human rights policies to both internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge and skill working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to produce high-quality online and offline content under tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience driving collaborative work relationships. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships and consensus with a variety of constituencies both inside and outside the organization.
- Outstanding media relations skills, including the experience and confidence to drive coverage and relevance among key audiences such as national press, DC press, regional press, etc.
- Relationships with regional and national media in the U.S., including proven success as a spokesperson.
- Skill in utilizing data to analyze the characteristics and needs of target audiences and determining the most effective communication techniques to use in reaching the public.
- Strong understanding and skill using Cision and Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, etc, as well as Sharedrive and Google Drive and Docs for collaboration.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, CMS, CRM, blog platforms, SEO, analytics software
- Proven ability to lead a diverse team of professionals and manage colleagues in analyzing, planning, developing, and implementing major strategic communications projects and initiatives.
- Basic understanding of budgeting and contracting procedures sufficient to establish and evaluate detailed contractor work plans, budgets and schedules, along with the skill and ability to direct contractor resources.
AIUSA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply. Our employment decisions are made solely on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We prohibit discrimination of any kind based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, indigenous status, immigration status, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other legally protected and non-merit factors.
How to Applyhttps://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=19816&clientkey=FACBA214DB8B6B051E8C6DC04E56D67A