|Company:||The Public Law Center (PLC)|
|City:||Santa Ana, CA|
|Workplace street:||Santa Ana, CA|
|Work schedule:||Full Time|
|Posted:||15 May 2019|
|Work experience:||Entry level|
Staff Attorney – Consumer Law Unit
The Public Law Center (PLC), Orange County's non-profit pro bono law firm, is committed to providing access to justice for low-income residents. Through volunteers and staff, PLC provides free civil legal services, including counseling, individual representation, community education, and strategic litigation and advocacy to challenge societal injustices. Now in its 38th year of service, PLC works with more than 1,600 volunteer lawyers, paralegals and law students from throughout the county who volunteer their time and expertise. The Consumer Law Unit provides assistance in the following areas: debt collection defense, creditor harassment, bankruptcy, student loans, federal court litigation, predatory lending and home equity scams, identity theft and wage garnishment. The Staff Attorney would be expected to provide assistance in these areas through direct representation to clients, general pro per assistance at clinics, and providing technical assistance to our pro bono volunteers.
· Active membership in the California State Bar, 1-3 years experience
· Experience in the practice of law including experience handling consumer law matters, state and federal court litigation and bankruptcy law a strong plus
· Demonstrated commitment working with volunteer lawyers and law students
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment
· Strong public speaking skills and ability to train a variety of audiences, from clients to pro bono attorneys
· Ability to take initiative and work under pressure with limited supervision
· Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese a strong plus
· Must have own transportation, valid CA Driver’s license, insurance and good driving record
Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide direct legal services to low income clients in the areas handled by the Consumer Law Unit
· Staff self-help and intake clinics and workshops throughout Orange County
· Provide support to volunteer attorneys and law students
· Provide trainings and presentations to pro bono attorneys, volunteers, partner organizations, clients and the community as needed
· Work collaboratively with other PLC substantive units, as well with other legal services providers, community groups, and government officials
· Represent PLC at legal networking and community outreach events
· Occasional evening and weekend work required
· Other duties as assigned
Salary & Benefits
· Salary dependent on experience; range of $50,000 - $58,000
· Competitive benefits provided
Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to Grace Landa at: email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Read lessReport this listing
How To Applyglanda@publiclawcenter.orghttps://www.publiclawcenter.org
All required documents must be submitted to be considered.
Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to Grace Landa at: firstname.lastname@example.org.